The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a new guidance that warns people to avoid drinking tap water containing a chemical used to treat anoxic substances in water.
The new guidance, issued Monday, advises that drinking tap waters containing anoxic chemicals, which include hydrogen peroxide, may cause symptoms similar to a water poisoning, including headaches, nausea and vomiting.
The agency advises people to use bottled water if they can afford to do so.
But, it warns that the chemical is toxic and it is not recommended to use tap water unless it is safe to do otherwise.
The chemical is not found in bottled water, but is in tap water.
In the past, the EPA has recommended that people avoid drinking contaminated water if possible.